Adding another Front End Server to the Enterprise Pool

Just recently I added another 2013 Front End Server to an Enterprise Pool and was subsequently presented with some interesting issues.

After adding the new Front End to the Topology and running the setup I moved on to migrating some test users and saw the following error:

Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) operation SetMoveResourceData failed??

I checked the replication and all Lync servers were replicating.
Checking the Lync Topology servicers I found that my new Front End server wasnt in show room condition, see below:

The green check on the 3rd line shows replication OK but status not OK
So now I am wondering which services are not running, off to Front End number 3 to check the Lync services. As supected there are services that arent running.

Turns out both the Call Park Service and the Response Group Service wont start. Perhaps there is a hint as to why in the Event Log..

..and I found this clue. Seems that FE3 is unable to connect to the backend SQL. Also the little Inner exception reference (saw that in the DCOM reference).
Login failed for user was the real gem.

Checking with the SQL admin I got confirmation that FE3 was trying to connect to the Backend SQL database and failing the login about once every second (SQL guy not happy).

OK, so how come FE3 doesn’t have the permissions on the Backend SQL server??
Seems that my temporary SQL Admin rights were not in place when adding FE3 to the Topology, this is when the SQL permissions are set. Interestingly there were no errors when I published the Topology.

How to fix these permissions? Either get unhappy SQL admin to re-publish the Topology with his SQL Admin account or get temporary SQL Admin permissions and DIY.

…yes, and voila


About Paul B

My name is Paul Bloem and I am employed at Lexel Systems in New Zealand as a Principal Consultant for Unified Communications. I have been working on enterprise voice solutions for over 20 years. My first 10 years were spent working for a Telco in South Africa (Telcom SA). This is where all the groundwork happened as I was exposed to just about every aspect of telecommunication you could imagine. I develop an interest in PBX technologies and eventually became the go-to guy. Next, I had a 10 year run at Siemens South Africa, most of my time there was as a Technical Trainer. During this time VoIP hit the world stage, I had the privilege of introducing VoIP both as H.323 and later SIP across the Siemens HiPath 4000 solution stack. In 2008 I immigrated to New Zealand with my newly attained MCSE, I was ready to go where no PBX Techie had gone before. I was employed to explore OCS 2007 and that was pretty much the beginning of the end for me. I have been working on OCS and Lync ever since. My current role focuses exclusively on Lync and associated technologies.. That includes pre-sales, consulting, architecture and design, training and support. I even get to play in the development space from time to time - focus on play ;-) I was nominated as a Microsoft VTSP for Lync early in 2013 and also awarded Microsoft's MVP award for Lync in 2014.
This entry was posted in DCOM Error, Event ID 31201. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s